An efficient taxation system has nine attributes with one over-riding characteristic to which they all contribute.
An efficient tax system is:
1. Comprehensive – in other words, it is broad based;
2. Complete – with as few loopholes as possible;
3. Comprehensible - it is as certain as is reasonably possible;
4. Compassionate – it takes into account the capacity to pay;
5. Compact – it is written as straightforwardly as possible;
6. Compliant with human rights;
7. Compensatory – it is perceived as fair and redistributes income and wealth as necessary to achieve this aim;
8. Complementary to social objectives;
9. Computable - the liability can be calculated with reasonable accuracy;
All of which facilitate the chance that it will be:
10. Competently managed.
In combination these are key attributes of a good tax system.