Today is International Women's Day, so I share this from the Tax Justice blog, because the relationship between tax and women's rights has been ignored for too long:
The Tax Justice Network is supporting global partners in highlighting the impact of regressive tax policies and financial secrecy on women’s fundamental human rights, something we campaign on and write about. Here’s some information about the #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights Global Days of Action. The dates for your diary are 8-24 March 2017.
You and your organisation are invited to join the Global Alliance for Tax Justice, our members and partners including international women’s rights groups and global trade unions in taking action to advance tax justice for women’s rights. See the Campaign page here
- WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Start planning your creative actions to promote #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights in the Global Days of Action, 8-24 March 2017.
- Join with women’s rights, trade union and tax justice groups in your country to understand the issues and plan joint work together.
- Send letters and ask to meet with your national government and UN representatives to explain why we need tax justice to ensure gender justice. See these suggested ADVOCACY MESSAGES
- Begin contacting your government representatives who are attending the annual UN Commission on Status of Women, 13-24 March in New York. Explain why tax justice is needed to deliver on the UNCSW theme of “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work.”
- Share the word through social media: #IWD2017 / #taxjustice / #womensrights / #UNCSW17
- Let us know what you’re doing! Please fill out the SUBMIT EVENT form.
- We’ll promote your activities and suggest connections to build impact. Please also send your event details, news, photos, videos, and social media links to email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
- KEY DATES
- International Women’s Rights Day, Wed. 8 March 2017 — Join people around the world as we launch the Global Days of Action for #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights, and call on our governments to stop the global scandal of corporate tax dodging, end illicit financial flows, and transform inequitable fiscal policies in order to fund and fulfill women’s rights.
- Follow up with your government representatives who are attending the annual UN Commission on Status of Women, 13-24 March in New York. Explain why tax justice is needed to deliver on the UNCSW theme of “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work.”
- Wed. 15 March — ActionAid International will release a new report on macroeconomics and violence against women. Watch for and share the report. Attend the UNCSW parallel event 15 March @ 8.30am, Church Center of the United Nations, New York.
- Thurs. 16 March @ 6.15pm — participate in the #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights’ forum, Hardin Room, Church Center of the United Nations, New York. *This UNCSW parallel event is jointly hosted by the Global Alliance for Tax Justice, Global Unions, Association for Women’s Rights in Development, Center for Economic and Social Rights, Oxfam, ActionAid, Tax Justice Network, Christian Aid, National Taxpayers Association Kenya.
- World Water Day, Wed. 22 March 2017 — stand in solidarity with Public Services International members. Tell our governments to ensure the Human Right to Water is realised through universal access to public water services that boost women’s health and economic independence.
The #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights Global Days of Action campaign is an initiative of the Global Alliance for Tax Justice, GATJ Tax & Gender and Global Action Working groups, and committed partners including Public Services International, the International Trade Union Confederation, Association for Women’s Rights in Development, Center for Economic and Social Rights, ActionAid, Christian Aid, Oxfam and Tax Justice Network.
For more information, please contact: