The Task Force on Financial Integrity and Economic Development (the Task Force) seeks a Program Director to lead its Economic Transparency Initiative. The Task Force is a unique global coalition of civil society organizations and more than 50 governments working together to address inequalities in the financial system that penalize billions of people. Launched by Global Financial Integrity in January 2009, the Task Force advocates for greatly improved transparency and accountability in the global financial system. The opacity of the current system facilitates the flow of approximately $1 trillion in illicit capital out of developing countries each year through corruption, criminal activity and commercial tax evasion. Current international financial statistics do not provide sufficient data for analysis.
In its Economic Transparency Initiative, the Task Force seeks a program director who will work with international institutions, governments, central banks, commercial banks, tax authorities, national statistics offices, and other organizations to generate and release more comprehensive data on cross-border financial flows affecting developing countries. This is an analysis and advocacy position and requires significant travel and excellent communications skills.
The specifics of the position are as follows:
- serve as the primary public policy advocate, engaging in regular direct communication with multilateral institutions, governments, central banks and other institutions in support of the Task Force agenda;
- serve as an expert information resource on financial flows, data gaps and related policy issues for policymakers, financial institutions, the media and others;
- travel, as needed, to enlighten advocacy targets of the need for additional data in this area, establish a dialogue with target audiences and ensure further discussion;
- liaise with senior officials and their staffs to acquire financial statistics and data which will be used as the basis of future analysis by the Task Force;
- write and edit education and advocacy materials for multilateral institutions, governments, central banks and others;
- oversee the development and implementation of the Task Force’s organizing and advocacy work plan;
- maintain and deepen relationships with Task Force key organizational allies and partners;
- represent the Task Force in meetings with policymakers and officials, at conferences and in coalitions; and
- write a detailed quarterly report on activities conducted and progress made on each data set.
- a Ph.D. in macro economics, preferably with extensive experience in economic statistics;
- fluency in English and one other language, preferably French;
- excellent writing skills in English and preferably French;
- an ability to interact with a multitude of high-level stakeholders, and deliver outcomes;
- an ability to work with poise and professionalism using judgment and tact; and
- possess exceptional interpersonal, relationship building, presentation, and partnership development skills.
The Task Force offers competitive salaries and benefits. To apply, candidates should send a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com. The deadline to apply is June 4, 2010.
Disclosure: Tax Research LLP is a member of the Task Force on Financial Integrity and Economic Development.