These are my links for January 10th through January 12th:
- FT.com / Companies / Food & Beverage - ‘Greed’ blamed for pub closures - "Private equity groups and property investors are having a “pretty disastrous” impact on the British pub industry, the founder and chairman of JD Wetherspoon has warned."
I think it was Aristotle who said that you cannot make money from money. You can make money from pubs. You can't when you turn them into a form of financial engineering. Then we all lose
- Mapeley investors in row over bond issue - Times Online - Will HMRC's landlord go bust?
When you offer bonds with a 20% yield you know something is horribly wrong
It's a hedge fund in all but name - I don't give it long
And what then? Do the leases revert to HMRC?
- Operation Wickenby suspect Philip Eric de Figueiredo bailed in Jersey | The Australian - How come I missed this?
Why aren't I surprised that Jersey is involved?
- Op-Ed Columnist - Eight Years of Madoffs - NYTimes.com - No government is perfect - we all know that - they're made up of human beings
But Bush turned corruption into an art form
- FSA fines insurer Aon £5.25m for corruption control failures | - I'll guarantee these funds went to tax havens
Any respectable business should avoid them like the plague
Looks like the FSA got something right
But maybe the fine wasn't big enough